Thursday, February 3, 2011

Convenient stuff

I need a phone.

Mind you, I have a phone. In fact, several phones. I have a cell phone, as does my son, my daughter, and my husband. Then there's "Phone Henge," an archeological site of marginally functional cell phones that we mine for plugs, headsets, and exchanges. They need to be recycled, but recycling phones is another errand, plus my brother-in-law never lets us get rid of electronic items because he's convinced the evil-doers are out there just waiting to get into the memory chips and get numbers from old bank accounts, from which they will reconstruct our lives and steal all our money.

I also have two truly ancient old-fashioned wired phones and a wireless. They were all purchased for a couple of bucks at the resale shop. I consider wired phones a necessity. I always have phone service in emergencies, because the wired sets don't need either the house electricity or a cell phone grid. They work even when the power goes out. This is the number I give to stores when they won't accept "you don't need my phone number" or "000-000-0000."

But there isn't a phone in the kitchen anymore, because the resale specimen that was there died. When the phone rings and I'm in the kitchen, I have to go two whole rooms over to answer it.

I understand there are people who feel this way about tvs.

Peppery shortbread cheese crackers

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup corn meal
4 oz. of cheese (cheddar, gruyere or Parmesan) grated
6 T (3/4 stick) of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
about 3 T heavy cream
seasoning: 1 teaspoon each white and green peppercorns, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, ground together, 1-2 teaspoons pepper flakes, or use the pre-mixed seasoning of your choice


Mix all ingredients except cream in a food processor; run the machine until dough forms a clump, adding the cream a little at a time to get a nice maleable texture. (I only have a 3 cup foot processor, so I had to divide the dough into thirds). Form into three 1 1/2 x 8" logs, roll in plastic wrap or wax paper and place in freezer until firm (a couple of hours). Slice into 1/4" or thinner rounds. Only have one log out at a time; leave the others in the freezer until you're ready to use them. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Update, Feb 27: Made these again using a pepper-jack cheese instead of the seasoning. Also good.

4 comments:

  1. Those crackers look amazing! I wonder what I can substitute the wheat with, my daughter has celiac disease and a severe wheat alergy. My family would love these crackers! We have 5 cell phones in the house and a land line. We never use the land line so when it ring it startles us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am joining your "No Buy Feb" - I am just home after being gone for 2 weeks, so I will start tomorrow and go for 28 days. I don't think I will have a hard time with this, since I tend to think this way anyway, but I know there are always ways to be more aware. Thank you. OH and those crackers look wonderful! I have a very small food processor like you do. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn--try a non-glutinous rice flour, or grind oat meal into a coarse flour, I believe these are gluten free? Since most of the body of the cracker is the cheese, these should serve nicely as a binder.

    Emily-- welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh. I had a post all ready to go about how well I was coming along already with avoiding impulse buying and I forgot to send it!
    Anyway - It's going well! =P

    ReplyDelete