Thursday, June 16, 2011

I could get used to this

It's a good thing my husband is well employed doing work he loves, because while I have interesting jobs (yes that's "jobs" plural), you couldn't exactly support a family on my take home pay. I complain about it a lot (I'm sure I'm very boring--sorry).

But last Friday I got to go to the movies at noon, and right now I'm sitting outside in my garden under my new table umbrella gearing up for my day's on line work. It's about to rain, so it's a little bit chilly; I'm wrapped up in a blanket knit for me by a friend and I'm listening to the thunder and watching Rabbit Kong try to breach the defenses.

Beats the heck out fame and riches.

Strawberry cream cheese bread
Adapted from mybakingaddiction.com

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup honey
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream, thinned with a little milk or cream
1 1/2 cups strawberries, and macerated in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 3-4T of sugar

Preheat oven to 350/175. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cream butter, honey and cream cheese until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Blend flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended. Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined; do not over mix. Carefully fold in strawberries. Dough mixture will be thick. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Okay, didn't have any honey (how does this happen?) so I used 1/2 cup sugar, and increased to two whole eggs. Decided it would be more interesting to thin the sour cream with 1/4 cup of homemade strawberry syrup. You could also use orange juice, or just substitute buttermilk, but I can never find anything except an abomination called "fat free buttermilk" at the market-- what is that? It's buttermilk folks, fat is the entire point.

Anyway, the adaptation of the adaptation was also delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment