- Industrial foods are lower in nutritional value.
- Buying from local, entrepreneurial farmers and sellers improves the local economy. Know your farmer!
- The US does not require that genetically modified foods be labeled as such.
- A pregnant teen that I know told me that she "doesn't eat vegetables."
- HFCS. 'nuff said.
- You'll never find this in a box:
Mashed summer roots
Per every 2 diners:
One large potato
1 medium parsnip
1 pat butter
1/4 cup (or so) milk, half-half, or cream
white pepper and sea salt to taste
Peel, roughly cube, and boil all until soft (you can easily slip a knife in). To cube vegetables, just cut them up along each axis-- length, width, height. Mash into a lumpy mass with a potato masher or fork, then add the butter and milk/cream. Continue to mash with the masher/fork or whip with a hand mixer on low. I don't mind lumps in my mashed potatoes, but some people like them really smooth.
Serve with meat loaf, or pan fried pork, fish or portobello mushroom.