Friday, August 5, 2011

D is for Daughter

Is there anyone who is not blessed in their daughters?

When she was born, I wanted a daughter so badly (I already had a son) that I refused to allow myself to believe that my wish had come true. When my husband and the doctor told me it was a girl, I actually argued.

I can see in my daughter the long line of women leading into the mists back to Eve; her existence connects me to the womb of the earth that is the dark, precious, secret places anchoring us. I am continually amazed at her faith and courage and humor.

Nga* is a sea of tall grass
With roots tangled anchored
To the earth
And stems that stretch for the golden sun
And wave and reach for
air
They hide the small and private things of the earth
with sound and movement and mystery

*her Chinese name

No comments:

Post a Comment